Sunday, January 10

Opening The 7D Box!

<- Click here

Early Saturday morning it arrived. A decent sized brown box with a good feel to it. I was just finishing a workout, so I left it vibrating on the living room coffee table while I sweated out the last super sets. Yeah - vibrate - I could feel the things inside of that package ... their aura was buzzing me right through the wrappings.

Okay, showered, dressed, I Xacto-knifed the thing open in my studio. It was crammed with another box, two 8 gig storage cards, a spare battery with charger, and an envelope with B&H's three year warranty. Okay... okay... then inside of that Canon box were all sorts of cables, CDs, instruction manuals, a strap, another batter with its charger and a bubble wrapped white pouch.

And in the pouch? Heh... heh.... My brand new, black Canon 7D body. And just a tad of disappointment!

"Huh?" you wonder. Disappointment? Well, just the slightest amount. See, when I traded up from my Canon 20D to the 40D, the body was different. Not enormously, but more than subtly. The 7D though is 90% of the 40D body. The LCD is larger, and the buttons are arranged slightly differently. But the real changes are in the processors, the increase by 50% in the megapixels, and the button just above the lens mount... the button that turns this machine into a HDTV quality video camera. I kinda wish though that they'd restyled it a bit differently from the other D-Series cameras, perhaps a tad more like the Mark-series. Canon could use a good Italian or Macintosh designer.

And now for the learning curve. Canon's played a bunch with the firmwear of this baby. And I have to customize it for the different sort of shooting conditions I do. And there were a ton of chores to do today (Sunday) which left me with not too much time to read the new manual. And now it's late and I've gotta be up at 4:55AM for the gym tomorrow, so it's bed time. And the workweek looms full since we are trying to get a bunch of stuff finished before I leave for two weeks next month on the Peru trip. Plus I'm giving a big speech on the regional economy next week, and leading an executive webinar the last week of the month. So with the large feature piece for the February edition I'm writing on the changes in legal and accounting business law for 2010... things are mucho busy.

So... when to get out with this new thing? Will it be before next weekend? Darn, dunno... even though it's vibrating while I sit here and type this. Why is it the world intrudes upon our play? Sigh.... Stay tuned... I'll keep ya posted.

4 comments:

Angel Corrochano said...

Finally!!!!!!!
What enjoyed camera. Very lucky you are! , I congratulate to him. It will go to him very well in its trip to Peru. I am safe!
Warm greetings

Anonymous said...

Ted, I do love your "comic strip" - You didn't shoot those images with your brand new D7!

I hope by this time (Tuesday morn) that you've had a chance to take the newbie outside and shoot with it!

Isn't it always the case - right before we can get away from it all, all sorts of "real life stuff" intrudes and pulls us away from our soul's desire?!

But I know you'll survive - you're a trooper and have survived up to this point. So don't let a little thing like "work" stall you for too long. ;)

Flo

Barry Armer said...

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pics shot with the new camera!

Love the graphic novel you posted today!!

Cheers!
Barry

Debra Trean said...

delightful....and exciting... enjoy and looking forward to see what you capture with this new toy. warm smiles sent your way... love the comic aspect of this as well.