Sunday, July 1

June Was Bustin' Out...

<- Click here

Here in Pennsylvania, seasons nourish our projects. Regardless of the granular idea or feeling that rustles about in our creative cranial places, it’s the seasons which manipulate the possibilities we face in expressing ourselves. Now I know many visitors to ImageFiction come from places without climate swings. And others live in spots where the oscillations are either small or quite rapid.

Here in South Eastern Pennsylvania I enjoy a full measure of seasonal performances. And regardless of my artistic intention to impose an inspiration upon nature – more often I’m its servant, my hormonal dance gliding to its rhythms and possibilities: How frequently seasons are the dog and my whims its tail.

Yesterday I was beside the Brandywine Creek, which meanders through Chester County just East of me here in Lancaster. It was the sort of afternoon, which would dissolve if you thought about it too much. The sort of Saturday in which June had produced a final magnificent blossom – as if to say with a smirk, “Okay July, top this one, I dare you.” That’s the sort of taunt that sets an artist’s agenda. Facing the full bloom of a boasting month, my charge is to remember it at you. The question’s so simple: can you feel summer on The Brandywine Creek?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're used to live in such an artifical world, spending more than 90 percent of our time indoors in artifical climate (air conditioning, light bulbs,...). So, I certainly think that it's an artist's duty, to bring back the memory of "seasons" to people.

And, Ted, three thumbs up: You certainly managed to sprinkle "summer" all over the picture! We're currently experiencing a cold-wet weather period, so I'm going to use your picture to remind me of what summer could be...

Debra Trean said...

Your world is so different than my neck of the world. The reflection and calmness of this image really is beautiful!

Andreas said...

Can I feel summer on The Brandywine Creek? Yes, I can, absolutely!

There is only three things that are wrong: The real name of the river is Baranduin, the boat should be a bit bigger and ... where please are the Hobbits?

Just wondering.

Andreas

Ted said...

(Andreas) Hobbits? Yes! That's it! There's a world between the fantastical, spiritual, and the whimsical... And I think this guy was floating through it last Saturday afternoon.

(pnf) As for our worlds being different... Yes... yes, when I travel throught he South West of the US I feel as if I have done a planetary leap. But for still calmness... there is NOTHING around here to match a sunset or rise in that part of the universe.

(Thomas) I sense that even in the closed rooms of our daily lives that the seasons insinuate a sort of interactive drawl... You know how speech patterns are affected by the place where we live? How our tongues dance differently as a sort of sign for our environments? Well, I suspect that our behavior is similarly patterned by the climatatical stuff in which .. even those closed, air-conditioned, light-bulbed seemingly sealed off rooms... bob about. Just as wettness will travel along textile following the laws of osmosis... So to do the seasons seep through the crannies and nooks of our boxes...