Friday, July 6

Tacky?

<-Click here
Recently a magazine needed to illustrate a story on "Tacky Motel Art". So of course, the editor turned to me. The article was about that sort of painting you find in the "Starving Artist Sales" which bloom all around the United States. At these things you poke through hundreds and hundreds of "real art" painted by "real artists" done in "genuine paint" on "real canvas". Frankly I don't know where they do get the - mosty unsigned - stuff they sell for $19.98 - about a third of the price of the frames they peddle.

BTW... have you noticed that the real money in the art biz is in framing? But I digress

Anywayzzz.... I took a picture of Rita's flowers in the back yard. I brought the image up in PhotoShop, grabbed the smudge tool and with different brushes swirled the colors around for a couple of minutes and... WHEEEEEEE! Here's what I filed, and what they printed.

So, wuddaya think? Will it sell at a "Starving Artists Sale"?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It definately will. Sell I mean. The picture certainly has written "Teds handcraft" all over it - the picture is perfectly fleshed out. Small wonder, that they printed it.

But apart from the handcraft, I honestly have to admit that I like the personal style that you express in your other pictures orders of magnitude better. That picture here really screams "motel art"... Brr.

I'm not sure, whether I missed it, and just now stumbled across your news post. Whatever, congratulations to your upcoming POTN prints! Just tell us (show us), which photos were featured. Pleease...

Ted said...

Yeah, I think I agree... this image would sell to any number of motels. It also looks like the image that comes with drugstore frames. It was done sarcastically - I hope it shows....

As for the POTN winners... Thanks for asking. If you will look at the sidebar on the right and scroll down to the announcements - I have now linked the images which were selected. I'm quite flattered to be included at all, and to have three images makes me tingle wildly!

John Roberts said...

I like it! Does it come on black velvet? (If you're going to get tacky, then do it up right!)

Ted said...

Hmmmm... interesting idea John. I wonder how you simulate black velvet in PhotoShop? Now, that'd be a challenge I bet....

Anonymous said...

And add some heavy, musky-musty scent!

Those three winners are just that: winners. My favorite would be No. 1 - simply because it's closest to my own world of motives.