Tuesday, April 10

The Gulf Station

<-Click here
There's a gap, I suppose, between the authentic and the synthetic. I also suppose with this image that I have tumbled hopelessly into it.

In the daily commute, here's the 400 block of N. Lime St. and the only gasoline station in the city's northern end. The owners get away with an extra dime a gallon above prices just outside of Lancaster. It's city profiteering. Incidentally, the city's oldest cemetary surrounds these two structures and extends up the rest of this block on the right. I suspect that this house is the home of the cemetar's caretaker. On the other side of the street to your left is Lancaster's nursing school which opened last year.

1 comment:

mcmurma said...

"There's a gap, I suppose, between the authentic and the synthetic. I also suppose with this image that I have tumbled hopelessly into it."

Hmm. Not really. At least not as far as I'm concerned. Well... maybe on some levels... but that the point! Your "level" is different. When you create an image that steps off into left-field there is rarely a question about your intent, at least not the way I see them. Oftentimes your images are not straining or even pretending to reproduce reality, and thats ok by me.

Your goals appear more straightforward: This is "my" interpretation of the scene, and not just a direct reproduction of the world as it may have existed at the moment the shutter was tripped.

When your intent appears so clear it would seem difficult to misinterpret. Still, I'm sure there are those that manage.

In this image you got a lot of really cool things going on. The menacing orange sky, the almost monochrome treatment elsewhere, the lines... Oh yes, the lines. I love they way open into the image and cradle it, like a gem in an otherwise plain setting. Not to mention the textures....

And this image is as far removed from reality as you can get. Unless of course the apocolypse is coming and Joe needs some gas to get out of Dodge.