Thursday, September 13

Wheels #4

<-Click here
Question time. Here's my fourth visit to Wheels Theme Week. Once again I'm trying to suck out something interesting from beneath a yowling mid-day sun. But here there's more to the exercise. Which brings me to my question.

Regardless of their equipment, photographers always impose themselves upon their subjects. And many feel that if something is pictured, well it must be true. Photographs as opposed to news columns, or drawings come with a paunch of authority.

But are ANY photos true? Any of them? And even if you can think of situations in which there is NO ambiguity about the information that's pictured in a photo, is that an exception? Aren't our images just as much interpretations and feelings about "reality" as music, poetry, and drawing?

Look at this blue Pontiac (it might be a Chevy). I ask you, what percentage of this image is absolutely a true representation of that vehicle and how much a feeling? And is that feeling yours? Is it mine? Does it belong to the craftsperson who lovingly restored it? Does it belong to the designer and craftspeople who originally conceived of it?

And as you answer these questions, and I really hope you will wrestle with them either through posts or in your mind, here's a last question. See that title up there beside my picture? Why do you think I've given that name to this blogsight? Is there a photo blogsight anywhere which should not have the same name?

Huh? Huh? Huh?

1 comment:

Carteach said...

Ted, you really seem to agonize over this issue. If that's your wish and muse, so be it.

My view: There is 'Taking' a picture and 'Making' a picture.

Photographers take pictures, artists make pictures.

To 'make' a picture, the artist must add, subtract, change, improve, clarify, enhance, say it any way you wish..... but the end is the same. The artist changes the image to be the ARTISTS view..... not the cameras.

That is not to say all that work cannot be done on the front side of the lens. Arranging the shot, controlling the lighting, changing the back ground, all these things are efforts to make the image over into the artists own.

Shucks... just toss a polarizing filter on and the photographer has begun 'making' the image over into a personal view rather than a crime scene photo.

I shoot a fair number of digital photos. Both to teach my class and to illustrate writings or rants.
Usually I am 'taking' pictures. Simple photos to show a detail or make a point.

Sometimes... when I try really hard... and there is enough care instilled.... I can 'make' an image that shows more than the subject. More than just a view or a person, but a feeling and an emotion.

On that rare occasion... it's not photography. It's Art. There is a difference. It's a difference worth everything.

I respect people that can pull off that kind of Art on a regular basis... it's a rare talent.