Saturday, December 15

Longing


<-Click here
"In all species other than man, when an animal reaches puberty, it is all that it will ever be.... Only in man is puberty just the beginning... Puberty does not provide man, as it does other animals, with all that he needs to leave behind to others of his kind." - Allan Bloom in The Closing Of The American Mind.

I guess Bloom's philosophy's had the greatest impact upon my life. Or perhaps he merely turned into words ideas that already informed the way I live. Dunno about the chicken egg thingee. See, Freud, who has dominated so much thought about who and what we are and why we behave as we do, didn't agree with Bloom at all. He saw only one focus for humans, the same one that animals have. I don't buy that. See this girl on the right here? See her longing for something beautiful in the darkness? See how we have more than one peak that's accompanied by intense pleasure? See how we can reach beyond the drives of pubescent puppets?

Or not... After all... Wudda I know? Eh?

- - -

From the looks of this image, I seem to be able to control Photoshop in ways that let me express some ideas. I'm not sure whether everything's fixed, but for now at least - I can still show some of the thoughts and feelings I found in the streets of Florence. Whew....

1 comment:

Andreas said...

Hmm ... I really need to catch up with your images. I feel like a rabbit with a watch :)

Goodness, Ted, where have you found that woman??? Well, I know it's Florence, but isn't it fascinating that they have mannequins with actual emotions? Amazing!

Here in Austria they try to keep them as sex-less and impersonal as possible, but this is a wildly different thing, a fusion of sex and religion, of desire and adoration. Marvelous.

Andreas