Wednesday, December 5

Florence 15 • Ponte Vecchio 1

<-Click here
The Medici family, the richest people on earth at the time were the massive drivers behind Rennaisance Florence. Here I finally approach the wonderful Ponte Vecchio, the old bridge. Turn right at this corner and you cross that span. Go through the walkway-tunnel and your arrive at the Uffizi Gallery. As I've mentioned before, it's now home to one of the world's greatest collections of art. But it was originally one of two the most massive Medicci palaces. The other, the Pitti Palace was on the other side of the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio was built to join the two.

I arrived at this corner early on October 7 as the sun peeked over a crack of the Uffizi you can see on the left. This was the morning when Andreas Manessinger and I were into our Mano-A-Mano shoot and here I had to make a decision. Go right and onto the Ponte Vecchio, go through the tunnel in front of us here and go up river to capture the bridge looking east with the sun at my back, or go backward and capture the grand structure shadowed in the rising sun. Since I arrived the evening before, I'd never been in this place before and the sun was rising rapidly. What to do? Could I possibly match Andreas's expertise and experience with this site? Hmmm: At least I'd arrived first, he was nowhere to be seen.....

---


As many of you may recall I visited Italy during the first two weeks of October staying the first week in Rome and then for a week in Florence where I met up with Andreas Manessinger for a Mano-A-Mano photoshoot at sunrise on October 7 starting at the famed Duomo and working our way toward the astonishing Ponte Vecchio bridge (yes I know that is redundant). You can begin this Italian adventure chronologically by clicking here and working your way quickly forward. Of course your thoughts and feelings mean a whole lot so feel free to wade in at any or every point.

Or if you prefer click on the appropriate keywords below. Clicking on Mano-A-Mano will bring you to my images from the series I did with Andreas which I've so far posted. Enjoy....

2 comments:

Debra Trean said...

Love seeing the world through your eyes and art. This should be hung !! What a joy it is to see two different styles shooting in the same area and both of the works are creative and wonderful!!! I really like the neutrals colors and warmth this image carries not to mention the outstanding shapes at every angle.

mcmurma said...

You may not like those cooking shows on television, heck, you may not even watch TV, but the feeling I got when I first saw this image reminded of Emeril and his famous "BAM!"

Emeril usually does this to emphasize some point in the construction of his dishes. A dash of pepper... BAM! a pinch of salt... BAM! And then we have Ted arriving in Ponte Vecchio at sunrise... BAM!

Expertly done.