Friday, October 15

Show Poster

<- Click here
I've been invited to do two shows: one at a gallery, another in a grand public mansion.

Frankly, I dunno if I have another show in me. It is so much work. And they are expensive. I figure I'll need at least twenty prints carefully mounted and probably framed. And perhaps one or two will have to be of a large size. And for what? It was a terrific ego trip to do my last show a couple of years ago. And there were hundreds of people who passed through. Lots of them were friends who were previously unaware of my closet interest in photographic imagery. But, I'm not a professional. I make very little money from my work. I've not submitted to Canon's annual in the past two years. And as you can see from this blog, I've cut back my posting to about six a month or so. Oh, I've got a lot of images I haven't posted in a private stash. But overall, my art is an escape from the rewarding work I do in my day job.

Sooo.... to show or not to show? Or is this blogsite that's viewed by hundreds of people a month enough of a show? Heck, I still haven't repaired all the damage to this site caused by Apple's cancelation of my website service (see Rotten Apple in the column up there on the right for an explanation).

The larger show could be as early as December, but I don't think I want to rush all of that work in the next four or so weeks. Suggestions anyone?

ON THE OTHER HAND....

I am almost out of business cards for this blogsite. Maybe instead of poster for a show, this might make a useful image, full-bleed, for that card? Again, thoughts?

4 comments:

April said...

Re the shows, go for it!

Expense: You can re-use the frames to rotate displays in your home. :)

Time & effort: Yeah; I have the chance to hang in a local shop, but have been putting it off because I'd rather be out taking pictures than pulling that together. Uh, wrong because...

How many opportunities are we offered to share our work? And if it's not to share, then "for what?"

(I've also a story to tell about that concerning another photographer, but it's not for here.)

Ted said...

Okay... send me the scoop on the other photographer, K? As for the sharing... In shows its SOOOOOOO expensive in terms of time and dollars. Particularly when you are a determined amateur like me. I think I have become both far to lazy and far to cheap to mount another show. Although there is that ego thing...

Ted said...

And apparently I have become far TOO illiterate to write the word too instead of to. Or maybe that is the final laziness of all? AAARGH!

April said...

"far-to-lazy" and "far-to-cheap" are interesting constructs. ;)

I forgot to subscribe to comments on this post, so just saw your note. I'll send the scoop...