Thursday, May 1

April Sailing #4

<-Click here
Ever heard of N.C. Wyeth? He was the patriarch of the Wyeth artists, the father of Andrew, grand dad of Jamie. A lot of his egg tempera paintings had sea subjects. last weekend's sail caused me to recollect on his brilliant palettes and rigorous action compositions of sailors and pirates who handled the oceans like you or I deal with a country road.

Nothing nailed the way Jeremy so casually dealt with the pitched and rolling deck without reaching for support as this moment when he pointed out to Steve the 'tell-tails' dancing on the mainsail. Life sure is easy when you know how to handle it, huh?

----

And the original photograph? Here it is. So, wuddaya think?

5 comments:

Bill Birtch said...

Love the treatment and you've really captured the moment with your timing.

Ted said...

(Bill) Thanks, glad you like it. I was after the feel of an illustration here. It is one of my "story" pix, a hangover from the days I did photojournalism to pay some bills. Did you notice the hand though? Ain't no lens that would capture that. Compare it to the pointing finger in the original. I like it when the image smashes its way out of the bordered box.

As for the timing... The 20D has a very useful sports mode, or a burst timer setting. Many art photographers forget all about it. We shouldn't.

Andreas said...

Goodness, this is a burst of creativity you've had these last days! Incredible, and of course this is a masterpiece. I guess what I like most in your work is not even the results (and you do know how I like them), it is the imagination that lies at the roots. There are so many images of your's that I would never begin with. I simply would have missed the potential completely.

Thanks for the lessons.

Debra Trean said...

TOOOOOO fun...grins... love your mad skills!!!

John Roberts said...

I think I like this one best out of this series. From reading your descriptions of the trip as kind of a teaching/learning voyage, this image seems to sum that idea up best. It dynamically illustrates Jeremy guiding and giving instruction, while letting his students do the actual tasks. Of course your "adjusted" version conveys this idea so much better than the straight-from-the-camera shot. And powerfully sharing an idea visually is what it's all about, right? Another home run!